Apple Watch 4 Is The Best
You’ve probably read all sorts of reviews about the new Apple Watch Series 4 at this point, so maybe mine will prove interesting and useful…or maybe not. In any event I am SO enthused, pleased, and excited about this new model that I felt compelled to jot down a few thoughts.
First off I purchased the Space Black Stainless Steel Case with Black Sport Band with GPS + Cellular. As many other reviewers have written, the larger speakers in the watch make calls usable, but for me the volume is still a bit low. Everyone tells me I sound as good, if not better, than my iPhone X itself.
Secondly it is FAST! While my Apple Watch 2 was “OK” as far as speed was concerned, this new one SCREAMS in comparison. Apps load quickly, using the watch feels snappy, and sometimes I find myself just goofin’ around with it since it is fun to interact with. I rarely did that with my Apple Watch 2 since it was too slow and something as simple as checking the weather app took forever. It was always faster to take out my iPhone and use it vs. the watch.
In addition, I love the larger watch face and this specific face with its multiple complications. I chose the one you see above as it provides me with everything I want, need and use all the time every day. In this case you see (clockwise from upper left):
- The temperature this morning here in Irvine, CA
- “Reminders” showing I intend to return my Apple Watch 2 back to Apple’s trade-in partner
- My Activity this morning (my wife and I walk an hour each morning)
- Timers…I seem to use them frequently
- In the center top is our 1pm appointment to order furniture for our new house being built in Rancho Mission Viejo CA
- Lastly the four center complications (again, clockwise) are the date; my wife in my contacts; the trigger for a workout (our morning power walk); and my battery level.
Since getting this watch I’ve done something I didn’t expect: I’m leaving my iPhone X where we’re staying and going out for our morning walks with only my watch.
Unfortunately I’ve been appalled by the horrifically poor AT&T mobile service in southern California — and especially in much of Irvine where we’re staying temporarily until our house is completed end of November — so I don’t get to enjoy phone-free watch use as much as I’d like to, but it is awesome whenever I do and have good cell coverage!
Is The Apple Watch 4 For You?
Should you buy one? How about if you are a baby boomer like me and are already good with technology or a quick learner?
My answer is a resounding “Yes!” — you should seriously consider one.
More and more seniors I meet impress me with how tech-savvy they are and interested in devices and tech that can make their lives easier.
My top favorite Apple Watch 4 features?
- Size: both sizes are larger in 40 and 44mm options and, most importantly, the display itself goes nearly edge-to-edge so you can see more on the watch face (30% more, according to Apple).
- New ceramic and sapphire crystal backing which, for example, allows better cellular service because radio waves more easily pass through the front and back. I can attest that this is true and the reception is much better.
- That new sensor on the back of the watch is much improved. As a former atrial fibrillation sufferer (and someone who participated in the Apple sponsored Stanford Heart Study), the coming soon ECG capability is something seniors will certainly like to have on their wrists. Specifically since it can warn us when something goes awry with our tickers.
Apple’s Launch Event
9to5Mac’s Apple Watch Series 4: Top Features
The Verge’s Apple Watch Series 4 review: it lives up to the hype